It’s grilling season! My favorite kinds of parties are of the cookout persuasion. It might be because I was born on Memorial Day and share a birthday with my cousin, so growing up, my birthday parties with my family were always big cookouts. Yesterday we celebrated Independence Day with an all day cookout with multiple courses! The day before that, I attended a baby shower which was also a vegan potluck. Today I’m going to share some photos of all of the food as well as a recipe. But first, let’s talk about all of the exciting things that are happening for Cupid’s Landing!
This Saturday, June 9th, Cupid’s Landing is putting on a free presentation located at Marlene’s Market and Deli in Tacoma called, “The Power of Plant Based Eating: The most important presentation you will ever here!” We will have a table set up to accept donations and hand out literature. Read more about it here.
On Sunday, June 17th Cupid’s Landing will be hosting a garage sale to benefit the project. The sale will now also be doubling as a free vegan BBQ! If you are in the Tacoma area, stop by for some great deals and free grub, thanks in part to Tofurky, Field Roast, Gardein, Follow Your Heart, and Townshend’s Brew Dr. kombucha for donating food items to share. We are still accepting donations of items to sell. If you would like to donate or if you have any questions, contact me. All of your donations are tax deductible.
We’ve got some really cool ideas for events coming up, so stay tuned for that! If you’re interested in volunteering at any of the events, please contact me.
From the baby shower:
From the cookout:
BBQ Green Bean Casserole
This is an easy and delicious recipe that is always a huge hit. It steps away from the typical cream of mushroom recipe, and instead uses an easy homemade tangy, creamy BBQ dressing.
- Enough broth for the green beans to boil in
- 1.5 lbs of green beans, ends trimmed and cut into 1″ pieces
- 1 can or 1.5 cups chickpeas
- 2 cups frozen corn
- Upton’s seitan bacon, cut into small pieces (optional)
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1 16 oz jar original vegenaise
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoon cornstarch (optional)
- 2 tablespoon bbq sauce
- Combine all dressing ingredients
- Mix with a wire whisk until combined (or use a blender).
- Let sit for at least an hour, or overnight. Allow dressing to come to room temperature before using.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bring the vegetable broth to a boil. Boil the green beans for about 20 mins, strain. In a large bowl, combine green beans, chickpeas, corn, and seitan; mix to evenly distribute everything. Add the green bean mixture to an 8-inch square baking dish. Pour dressing over the top. Bake in preheated oven for 10-15 minutes. Serve immediately.