Chickpea Salad with Creamy Lemon Garlic and Herb Dressing
Zesty, filling, and fresh!
- 3 cups chickpeas two 15 oz cans
- ½ cup minced celery
- ½ cup chopped green onion
- ¼ cup plus 2 tbs cooked brown rice preferably leftover from the day before
- ¼ cup plus 1 tbs fresh minced parsley
- Lettuce and tomatoes for serving
FOR THE DRESSING:
- ½ cup vegan mayonnaise
- ½ cup lemon juice
- 4 - 6 cloves of garlic depending on size and taste preference, pressed or minced
- 2 tbs stone ground mustard
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp salt
Mash the chickpeas - pulse in a food processor or use a potato masher. Some whole chickpeas are ok. Combine the mashed chickpeas, celery, onion, brown rice, and parsley in a large bowl. Set aside while you make the dressing.
Combine all dressing ingredients and mix well - we use an immersion blender. You could use a regular blender, a whisk, or shake it in a jar with a lid. Stir ¼ cup of the dressing into the chickpea mixture. Add more if desired.
To assemble the salad, create a bed of lettuce in your plate or bowl. Top with the chickpea salad, then chopped tomatoes, then more dressing. Enjoy!